Friday 16 November 2012

Shield

As I'm using my phone to type this up it'll probably be a far shorter entry than I'd like. Though that may help me make my point better and more coherently.

I wanna talk about my shield.

My shield is what I use to feel comfortable around others. Some people may use make-up, some may not need help at all, but I do. The way I dress is tailored very specifically to not standing out. I wear beat up and busted Converse, my comfiest, oldest jeans which are falling apart and ripped and a pop culture t shirt that will display a reference few will get. It's very average. It doesn't stand out. It allows me to blend.

The hard part is letting that shield down. When I have to dress smart I feel exposed. I've taken down my shield and people can suddenly see me, they notice. It was hard at first, but eventually I learned how to work it. I just had to learn how.

So whatever your shield is, however you protect yourself from others, try not to once in a while. Dress out of character, take off the make-up and learn that sometimes you don't have to hide yourself.

Later days.

xx

No comments: